Friday, September 6, 2013

The Bittersweet Truth

....about working at URBN.

Why was URBN awesome?
Well, as you could imagine, the work space was beautiful....

Don't even get my started on the Free People building....


Jharoka, our coffee shop, knew I wanted a small black coffee and a breakfast wrap every morning...

I met wonderful, amazing people like Kathy, my supervisor, and Jen, my counterpart...

Johanna (pictured here) and many more people who helped me along the way, who I could also laugh with or ask a bizillion questions.....


Complete creative freedom in a fundraiser that helped puppies and kitties...


And I got to be Twitter famous for a day...


The view at lunch was great...

The view at my desk wasn't bad either...

Two words: sample sale.

Summer Party. Food. Drinks. Photo booths. Zip line. Rock climbing wall. Inflatable obstacle course. Screen printing. You name it.

And the best part of all....
Working on this one day...

 And seeing it online in a couple months and feeling like "I WORKED ON THAT!!"


It was an amazing experience.

At the end of the internship I was hoping to be offered an temporary tech design job that would eventually turn into a permanent "big girl" job.
The offer I got instead was to extend my internship through the end of the year.
I wrestled with the decision to stay or leave for two or three weeks.
I loved URBN, but I [obviously] love the south.
I enjoyed Philly so so so so much, but it wasn't home.
I appreciated technical design, but I wanted more creative freedom.

My parents had helped me with rent of the summer (fortunately) and I think if the pay would have increased I would have stayed.
The door is still open at URBN, but I am happy to say I am back in the south.

My ultimate goal is to have my own store in downtown Asheville, but I realized quickly I'm going to have to do some work I don't necessarily l-o-v-e doing in order to save enough to do that.

Working part time and looking for more ways to continue learning about apparel construction and the industry in general isn't as glamorous as "working for URBN" but one thing I have learned in the past couple months is "Be who you want to be, not what others want to see."

God has a plan and that's all the comfort I need.


No comments:

Post a Comment